Sunday, May 18, 2008

capsicum and rice!


Each time I visit the Indian store for a sack of rice, I take a deep breath and pause before lifting the heavy bag into he cart. The prices have shot up so much that each grain in the sack seems like a precious gem. And I am reminded of the story my grandma used to tell us when we were little.” The story of three grains of rice”.
I remember snuggling close to her at night, head on her arm and hand smoothing her soft belly while she transported us into an imaginary world of words ……..
“once upon a time there was a very poor girl who had hardly anything to eat. Once her dad found three grains of rice and send her to the near by pond to wash those three grains so that they could cook and eat them….While washing those grains one slips off her hands and she goes in search of the rice and explores a magical palace under water…”.thus goes the story……”\
I still remember her stories as if I have heard them yesterday….each story filled with life adventure and moral values…
I am not going into the detailed version of the story ammumma narrated … it just conveyed that, even in dire circumstances, we should hear our voice within….and should not succumb to greed.

Now from the story of three grains of rice, let me pass on to the story of the many grains of cooked rice, left over in my fridge … which given a make over …found solace our tummies.

As I was glancing through one of the magazines I loved the picture of a capsicum (bell pepper) bowl stuffed with stuff I do not eat. So I thought, why not use the same capsicum cup and fill it up with stuff I love to eat!

Thus the left over rice after a touch up entered cooked capsicim cups!
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok. Season with mustard seeds , cumin , urad dal , red chilli and curry leaves. Add chopped onion (1 cup) and diced almonds (1/2 cup). Fry till translucent, add 1tsp turmeric powder and enough salt and stir in 2 cups cooked rice. Squeeze juice from half a lemon and garnish with coriander leaves.
Now for the capsicum cups…. Take a capsicum, slice off the stalk and remove the seeds. Wash well and let it stand. (If it topples, level the corners of the closed side to balance while standing) Keep the capsicum in microwave and cook for 1 minute on high. Fill this cup with the seasoned rice and enjoy! (You can creative your own filling according to your choice) ...
this goes to pooja of creative ideas , who is hosting VOW Bell peppers and JFI.

26 comments:

Purnima said...

Nandu, the stuffed dish looks splendid n colorful! Reg. the rice, how true! The prices hv sky-rocketed!
Each grain becoming more precious! Hv a nice weekend!

J said...

That is a pretty picture :)

Pooja Na(i)rayan said...

The picture looks so yummy. I grow bell peppers and never have enough ideas. So this would be great.

Pooja said...

this is really a creatively colorful dish Nanditha :). you reminded me of my Grandma, oh...... I miss each person of mt family now :((....

ranji said...

that is a wonderful post nanditha!!loved the color combination of yellow and red..must have tasted divine..yum!!!

Sum Raj said...

stuffed capsicum looks yummy....wil try next time with rice ...

FH said...

That's mouthwatering N, great lunch!:)

Uma said...

looks delicious. lovely entry. I tried to put comments in your blog, but I somehow, couldn't find this blog.

Hetal said...

Stuffed capsicum recipe looks too good!!

Pooja Na(i)rayan said...

Yesterday i had this at my friends place. SHe stuffed it with uppumav and baked it. Was weird but tasty

Purnima said...

An award for Miles to go n Satvika frm COOK..pls visit my post! :D

Unknown said...

Hey this looks very colorful, nice picture:) I found your ammamma's blog, very inspiring:) I visit there quiet often:) You are lucky to keep in touch with her through internet:)

Sangeeth said...

very lovely recipe....nice entry to the event :)

ranji said...

hi nanditha...some awards waiting for u in my blog:)..enjoy!!!

Suganya said...

Hi first time to ur blog.... U have a nice set of recipes. Look great. Capsicum and rice looks YUM!...

Nanditha Prabhu said...

Purnima,
i am now thinking of ways to reduce my rice intake:)thank you

jyothsna,
thank you

mocha,
i have also planted bell peppers this time...

pooja,
yes! when we are far from our dear ones we appreciate them more:)

Nanditha Prabhu said...

ranji,
thank you for the awards....

suma,
:)...

asha,
thanx

uma, nice to see u here...

hetal,
it tasted goo too!

mocha,
that is a great idea too:)

Nanditha Prabhu said...

purnima, thanks alot for your award!

roopa,
greta to hear that you saw ammumma's blog!

sangeeth,
welcome ! do visit again!

sukanya!..great to see you here! visit more often!

Purnima said...

Nandu, award assa tugelekatiri..pls paley! :D

Sum Raj said...

theres a surprise for u..plzz check my blog

Andhra Flavors said...

Looks yummy your capsicumfull of rice. Thank YOu Nice recipe with capsicum.

Lakshmi said...

interesting combination ..i will try it when I have the patience :)
Lakshmi

Cynthia said...

The colours of this dish are beautiful and I particularly like the lighting on the second photograph.

Malar Gandhi said...

Capsicum rice looks colorful...

Aparna said...

Hey Nanditha...this rice luks good nd my mammama used to tell me not to waste a single grain of rice..even i have tried out this rice....new to ur blog.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

First time to your blog the rice looks really tempting... wish to have it. Will be back often...peep in my blog when u find time